Media & Film
Welcome to the Visit Tallahassee Media Page. For information not listed, such as additional images, video or press trip details, please fill out the Media Request Form and a member of the Visit Tallahassee staff will contact you.
PR & Marketing Specialist
Direct: (850) 606-2319
Welcome to Film Tallahassee!
Florida’s Capital City is unique and defies the stereotypes most hold about Sunshine State. Although, traditional Florida locations such as beaches and coastlines are nearby, the topography here has a more “Southern” feel and replicates Georgia, the Carolinas, Louisiana and other southeastern destinations. From rolling hills to urban city scenes and historic plantation homes to canopy roads of moss-draped oaks, Tallahassee offers dynamic and dramatic settings for your next film.
Only in Tallahassee can you find a fully restored 17th century Spanish colonial mission, a speakeasy, a collection of Batmobiles, a historic landmark famous for its smoked sausage and grits, a venue on the National Blues Trail and a restaurant that prepares hot dogs 10,230 ways. This is home to expanses of outdoor wilderness, pristine river settings, pioneer structures, streetscapes and neighborhoods with homes and buildings representing the pre-Civil War period through ones with more contemporary, Southern look and feel as well as some of the state’s most treasured historic sites and the largest collection on antebellum plantations in the U.S.
Regardless the scope the project, Film Tallahassee has the resources that bring your creation to life. The area’s film legacy is as varied as its landscape.
- Tarzan’s Secret Treasure, 1941
- Tarzan’s New York Adventure, 1942
- Creature From the Black Lagoon, 1954
- Night Moves (Gene Hackman), 1975
- Airport (Jack Lemmon), 1977
- Something Wild (Melanie Griffith), 1986
- Ruby in Paradise (Ashley Judd), 1993
- Night Falls on Manhattan (Andy Garcia), 1996
- Ulee’s Gold (Peter Fonda), 1997
- Coastlines (Josh Brolin), 2002
- HBO’s Recount (Kevin Spacey), 2008
- Supernanny, 2008
- Trading Spaces, 2009
- Extreme Home Makeover, 2009
- Supernanny, 2010
- Extreme Weight Loss, 2013
When planning a shoot, please consider:
- If a permit is needed for your production allow 7 – 10 business days for approvals. Approval times vary based on the complexity of your request. Large scale and/or complex production projects (those involving stunts, pyrotechnics, traffic closures, etc.) may require coordination with several city, county or state departments and/or a meeting with the Location Manager. We do our best to expedite all requests.
- A permit is needed if your project:
- Impacts city/county/state property, equipment or facilities, including public property (i.e. sidewalks, highways, etc.);
- Involves production vehicles/crew vehicles parking on the street or right-of-way;
- involves the use of tent or other temporary structure(s);
- involves the use of pyrotechnics, explosives or other incendiary devices;
- involves the display of any firearms or use of gunfire;
- or involves stunts of any kind.
- A permit is NOT needed if:
- You are producing a news segment or news feature;
- If your production is taking place in a production studio;
- If your production is taking place on private property and the owner has approved the filming and none of the above mentioned activities/stunts are taking place;
- If you are taking still shot photography;
- If you are using a handheld camera and no other production equipment.
- If you are unsure of if a permit is needed, please check with Film Tallahassee for verification.
For additional information or questions, please contact Lauren Pace, Marketing Communications Director/Film Liaison at (850) 606-2322 or Lauren.Pace@VisitTallahassee.com.
Four mild-seasons, resulting in pleasant weather year-round. Traditionally, July is the warmest month (averages high of 92* and low of 72*) and January is the coldest month (average high of 63* and low of 39*).
Airport & Flight Accessibility:
Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH) is conveniently located minutes from the Capitol and downtown area. TLH is served by four major airlines: American, Delta, Silver and US Airways with daily non-stop flights to Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa and Washington, D.C.
For more information regarding inbound/outbound private aviation services contact Million Air at (850) 574-5671.
TFS is a TFS is a 501(c)3 tax exempt nonprofit organization that was incorporated and formed in 1999 for the purpose of bringing foreign and American independent films to the area. TFS presents films year round and occasionally promote specialized film events and guests. TFS films are presented in the All Saints Cinema, which is located in the Gaines-street area.
The acclaimed Florida State University College of Motion Picture, Television and Recording Arts (The Film School) is one of the top film schools in the nation. Among its honors, The Film School has been recognized by the Directors Guild of America for its ‘distinguished contribution to American culture through the world of film and television.
Part of Florida State University and open to the public, this state-of-the-art movie theatre offers one of the nation’s leading campus movie programs. Featured films are selected by an all-student committee and showings are five to six nights a week. Selections included everything from recent blockbuster movies to documentaries, indie, and foreign films, as well as restored cinema classics.
Visit Tallahassee offers a wide range of complimentary supplies, promotional literature and materials for the media, including these downloads:
For all Visit Tallahassee Press Releases, click on the Press Releases tab above. Partner Press Releases are also available using the tabs above.
Visit Tallahassee Promotional Videos
Promotional highlight videos of the Tallahassee area are available from the Visit Tallahassee Marketing department to introduce your attendees to Tallahassee.
To obtain a hard copy of the videos contact the Marketing Department at (800) 628-2866 or email your request to Lauren.Pace@VisitTallahassee.com.
For any additional materials, please submit a Media Request form.